Back in 2011 the NBSS Preservation Carpentry class worked on the Harvard Shaker Meeting House. It was a beautiful location. The class of 2010 worked on the front side of the house and the class of 2011 completed the back side. In this bucolic setting the class learned a lot about slate roofing and traditional staging.
- Remove existing slate roof — preserving as many sound slates as we can
- Stabilize existing sheathing
- Install new plywood sheathing, ice and water shield and new flashing and vent fixtures
- Replace missing cornice and stabilize raster tails
- Re-hang the slates
- Learn about traditional site built staging techniques
Below is a slide show outlining the work covered here.